Sunday, November 13, 2011

Micro Project 5 - Inlay


So, I received the word "inlay" to incorporate into my project. After thinking about it, I didn't actually know for sure what the word meant, so I looked it up. The search came up with "to insert or apply (layers of fine materials) in the surface of an object." This of coursed raised that question "what should I inlay?" The final product shows that I chose to literally inlay myself into Facebook. I've never been a huge fan of social networking, but it has still become a large part of my life (unfortunately.) I've always tried to imagine people physically controlling their Facebooks, just like one of those huge pianos that you have to jump around on. I'm almost positive that this would make Facebook far less popular when it actually requires a decent amount of physical activity. I asked a few people and they all said they would probably stop using it if this were the case. "A novel idea, but impracticable," was the response from an English major I asked. After creating this project I asked a few more questions, for which I still don't have the answers. How would you get into your real-life Facebook? Do the laws of physics apply once your there? When you visit someone else's page, do you actually interact with their physical being or do you just simply jump around looking at all their shit? Think about it. What would you like? This is by far my favorite project. The only thing I really wish I could have done was make it more 3D. It would have been fun to literally see myself jumping off of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment